Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Waffle House, a Road Trip Without a Map, and a Pumpkin Patch, and an Apple Orchard all in 36 hours.

10-4-10

Ok. So, the last 36 hours of my life have been incredible. Like, absolutely perfect - These past hours, they're what dreams are made of.
So - Last night we get done with Dracula and I'm sitting there with Will in the green room and Havalah and Emily walk in and offer to take us home, and maybe to a dance party at their house that the four of us were going to create. . . haha. Well, we stopped at the gas station, Havalah got gas, I got a 12 pack of Busch Light, King of beers :) and as I got back in the car Havalah says, "Oh my god guys can we please go to Waffle House?" Will and I were super stressed out from a meeting we had had about 20 minutes ago and weren't totally in the mood to go but the puppy faces on Havalah and Emily convinced us. :)
So, as we're driving to Waffle House, which is in Indiana, Will and I crack some beers. Now, I don't know if it is legal in Indiana to have an open container in the back seat or not, but Havalah was driving, and she didn't drink a drip, so I'm not gona worry about it.
The trip there was amazing. Emily was playing DJ and pulling out some crazy sexy songs like Bonnie Ray's, Love Me Like a Man the whole way. We got to Waffle House, ate, and as we were walking out Havalah says, "So, I really feel like driving out to the middle of nowhere to find some stars." We didn't go home. :)
We just took off. Will didn't know yet. So we'd been driving for about 20 minutes before will sees a sign for Indianapolis and says, "Oh, we're not going home are we?" and I said, "Nope, adventure time" or something crazy like that.
So we're driving for what feels like forever and I look at Will in awe and say, "This is our life man. This is our life." then Havalah shouts back at us, "East or West?" "West!" I say, cause It always feels right to be heading west for some reason.
We get off the highway and get onto this backass road and drive till there are no lights. Then get out of the car, it was prolly 40 degrees. It was the first time I've seen my breath in the air all year, and we just stargazed. All four of us. Talking about everything.
Will and I got on this huge tangent about where the north star was and that the two out points of the big dipper's dipper point to it. We could see the little dipper, but there were too many stars to see the big dipper, we thought. Eventually, we came to the conclusion, that the big dipper was down past the horizon, and headed further around the other side of the planet. About this point, Havalah and Emily start cracking up because Will and I had left on our own little Bromance stargazing discussion and were getting really into it.
I know it doesn't sound funny, but just imagine two dudes, standing there in the freezing ass cold talking about where the hell Ursa Major is in relation to the horizon.
We got in the car, and drove home using back roads. I mean we just said, "We're north west of Louisville so lets just keep going north west till we hit the river." We had no maps, no phones, no anything to guide us. I just kept looking up, finding the north star, realizing what direction we were headed and we'd turn the way we needed to go. Havalah and I both had a really good sense of where we were at and we just kinda tag teamed the rout home. We got home around 3.

I woke up at 10, (This is October 4th now, the next day) and we met several other apprentices at about 11:15 to head out to a pumpkin patch/apple orchard in Indiana where you pick your own stuff.
So Me, Havalah, Lizzy, and Marc Bovino (Plays Renfield in Dracula) hop into Mama MJ.
Mama MJ in Will's van. There are no seats in Will's van, just a matress in the back. So mark is in front with will and Havalah, Lizzy and I are just hanging out on the mattress. It was like a rollercoaster ride. Especially once we got int other back woods, winding roads.

We hit the farm and ate at this fantastic mom and pop place there. It was huge. Like, tables big enough for 25 people all over the place. I got Fried Chicken. My first, actual fried chicken from Kentucky and it was suuuuuuuper. Just like, greasy, and a little spicy, and yum. Just yum. They had these rolls that they deep fried and they gave you apple butter. Like a huge, ketchup bottle full of apple butter. They'd bring out a basket and they we're gone in a minute.


After we ate, we went and found pumpkins. We rode a tractor out to the other end of the farm and stopped at this pumpkin patch that was bigger than any I'd seen before.
(From left to right: Dinah Berkley, Mark Bovino, Brandon Peters, Emily Kunkel, Devin Olsen, Ellen Haun, Lizzy Schwarzrock, Will Steele, and Me)
Hundreds of pumpkins all over the place. It took me a good chunk of time, but I finally found the perfect pumpkin, and I love it. haha. Its almost perfectly round, and a bright orange color with a bit of yellow in it with green speckles on one side.

The apple orchard was right by it and there were probably 60-80 apple trees. So. Many. Apples. All. Over. I got like 13 I think. They were super cheap. 69 cents a pound. And they're the best apples I've ever had.

We stopped by the Soda Pop Shoppe on our way out and I got a Carmel apple and a pumpkin flavored ice cream cone to share with  the group. It tasted like pumpkin pie with ice cream. Perfect.
Then 5 of us snuck into the back of this corn maze for kids and walked through it. It wasn't a real corn maze. The corn stalks were like 2 feet apart, but it was for kids, so I get it I guess. BUT COME ON! I WANTED A REAAAAAL CORN MAZE hahah.
We got to the middle of it and cut through the field to this enormous water tower. Like 30 feet in diameter at least, and 11 stories high. It was the biggest damn thing I'd ever seen. just massive.
When we got back to the car, we were all pretty tired, so we were crashing in the back on the mattress and Will put on Bethoven's 6th Symphony. The whole drive home, watching trees and faded leaves fly by in the windows we were listening to Bethoven's 6th Symphony. It really was incredible. I felt like I was in a movie montage. Everything was so beautiful and the violins were blasting in my ears and I was just so happy. So damn happy.
When we dropped Marc off, our first stop, the Symphony ended as we stepped out. We listened to the entire thing, and it ended in synch with the end of the trip. Blew my mind.

We got home, dropped our pumpkins off at the apartment, drove Mama MJ back to the parking garage and on the way back, we started talking about my solo mio. I won't get into the nitty gritty, But I finally know what issues I want to tackle. One, being that It's really hard for me to accept that I am a good person, despite my past. That the fact that I cheated on Ashley doesn't make me an all around bad person. It does mean that I made some terrible decisions, and its part of who I am but it doesn't make up the whole of who I am. It's really hard for me to believe that, but I've gotta get there. There are two other issues, but that's the main one.

After that, I played him a song I'd been working on, and while I played it, I finished the last two choruses off the top of my head. Some times it just comes out, and thats what happened. It was fantastic.

So, 2 songs on the album are basically in the bag. :)

Now, off to movie night.

I'll post Pictures of the farm later tonight.
Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment